Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Obsessed?

I have decided to save my Chemistry-related post for after the Easter Break, since frankly, I haven't finished it, and don't really want to right now. Instead, after reading Aunt Paulette's story about cable, I decided to talk about one of my TV favorites right now.

Is anyone else watching American Idol? I think I almost have an obsession with this show; in fact, I am watching it as I am typing this post! Normally I don't like these kinds of shows, but American Idol has become my exception. I have watched since the beginning when they did the large auditions, and I have been following one person in particular the entire time. Her name is Melinda Doolittle, and I think she's just awesome. She is a former backup singer, but she has the voice of a true superstar. The judges on the show have compared her to some of those legendary women of the 60s and the 70s like Aretha Franklin and Gladys Knight.

What first got me hooked on her was her genuine personality, and her lack of big-headedness that most of these contestants have. She was shy and quiet, but once she started singing, she was the polar opposite. As of tonight, she has made it into the top nine contestants, and although I usually don't do this, I have called in and voted the last several weeks. I do this mostly because my favorite from last year, who was quite popular, was voted off because his fans didn't vote enough. I will not let this happen again this year!

Tonight's musical guest was Tony Bennett, and all the contestants had to pick songs that he wrote or sang. Melinda picked "I Got Rhythm," and all the judges agreed that it was a great performance. I shall have to wait and see how the rest do tonight, but that will not change my vote at all. And, if there is any justice in the world, that horrid excuse for a singer Sanjaya will be voted off this week. I'm sure many of you have seen stories on the news or elsewhere about the controversy surrounding his stay on American Idol. There are apparently a few sick groups out there that are voting for the worst singer on the show (Sanjaya) in order to mess up the show's voting. One of these in particular is headed by Howard Stern. No, not the one that was Anna Nicole Smith's "partner." The one I'm talking about is the despicable human being that pollutes our radio waves every day. Hopefully the fans of this show will overcome this hurdle and finally vote Sanjaya out. (In reality, though, no one is actually "voted out;" people leave the show when they have the least number of votes.)

Well, there's my two cents on the matter. Tomorrow I will be heading home for Easter Break, so like always, I will probably be away from blogging for the extra long weekend. Let's hope that this drive home will be uneventful and quick; I am tired of waiting in traffic due to some one's screw-ups! When I return, I will be sure to let everyone know how my break went, but until then, everyone have a great Easter.

6 comments:

EZ Travel said...

I am watching Idol, but in a fast forward kind of way. I only need to hear about 2 seconds of the singing to know who I want to win. I can't believe that Sanjaya even made it onto the show, but I feel bad for him being the target of the Howard Stern campaign.

I have never, and probably will never, call in to vote, but I am glad you are so that they keep some decent singers.

Amanda said...

Sean - I love Idol... Tracy (cousin) got me hooked.

I don't have long to chit-chat - I'm at work. But I wanted to say hi.

TTYL. =)

Anonymous said...

I never miss "American Idol". I don't watch it and I don't miss it.

marty said...

You have then right idea.....Don't let any performance change your 'already made' up mind.

I'm with Marcel, I have never seen the show. I can understand people watching it, just as I can understand watching soaps. However, I just can't understand caring.

PS I don't care about wrestling either.

paulette said...

I don't watch the Idol show, but I watch the results show. I don't usually like the songs these people sing, and if they sing a song I like, I don't like the way they do it. But I am interested in who is staying and who is going. My opinions of whether they deserve to stay or go all come from other people. I don't really care.

Tim B. said...

This is the first season that I have watched, and only because my mom was here for several weeks and we watched together.

Yeah, Sanjaya's voice is weak but he has a charisma that the viewers seem to like, but he doesn't appeal to me. I prefer to VIEW Haley and Gina (who just got voted off) but agree that Melinda is the bomb.