Tuesday, February 19, 2008

PCR

Y'all may be familiar with the "We Are the World" song that came out in the 80's. Well, this is a parody of that song that my Genetics professor Dr. Engle showed us last week. (My longtime readers may notice that this is the same professor that I had as a freshman. She was the one that said to thank your mitochondria!)

At any rate, the song parodies "We Are the World" on the subject of PCR, the polymerase chain reaction. PCR is a way of rapidly amplifying and replicating DNA, and we have been studying that in my Genetics class. It involves heating, cooling, and reheating until new strands of the desired DNA have been put together. While the video below is supposed to be humorous (oh, and it is!), it is still somewhat informative. So, I hope you can learn something! (Personally, my favorite part is the "who's the daddy" part...haha)


5 comments:

Marcel said...

I am still a "Slowski" and can't get this up.

Tim B. said...

It's funny?
I think Weird Al could have done a better job.

Marcel said...

OK, I got it downloaded and agree with Tim. It's funny? Humor is in the ear of the hearer. Perhaps if I had attended that class it would be funnier.

cheryl said...

I agree. I found it a little weird.

Sean M. said...

Oh well, I guess you have to be a Geneticist to truly appreciate the humor here.