Saturday, October 18, 2008

I Voted

That's right, I voted! Since I won't be in my home state for Election Day, I requested a by-mail absentee ballot. I received it on Wednesday, filled it out, and sent it off yesterday. I have to say, it was pretty exciting! This was my first time voting in a presidential election (not my first time voting, mind you), so that is a big deal.

On top of the presidential election, Tennessee is also electing one of our U.S. Senators; my area is also electing a U.S. Representative, a county commissioner, and a couple of other positions. Also, there were four or five Knox County charter amendments and a liquor referendum. Wow, so many things to consider! But I read over everything carefully and voted what I thought was right.

Okay, so now where's my "I Voted!" sticker???

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yay you! Voting early takes the stress off of trying to get to the polls on time that day. Education of all propositions is very important, glad you took the time.

Marcel said...

Stickers are only awarded to those that vote on election day. I will make it a point to send you mine.

The first person I voted for was Eisenhower and I was pleased when he won. It was also an absentee ballot because I was in the Navy at the time. On board ship I had no time to research anything. The way I chose who to vote for: anybody Polish, important sounding names, or names I recognized. Admendments? Had not expected them and knew nothing about them. Took a fast reading and, like you did, did my best. I now know that research is required and it helps if you have property. It maks the vote all that much more important.

Monica said...

Sean, I have my absentee ballot ready to put in the mail tomorrow morning. I had to read each of the amendments 3 or more times in order to feel comfortable to vote yea or nea. They structure them as if they are trying to validate both the yes and the no answer. I won't vote on the amendments any more.

Tim B. said...

Don't forget to vote OFTEN too. :-)