Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Frustration

Maybe it's just the heat that's getting to me, but I've been getting frustrated by many, many things lately. If you'll humor me for a few minutes, I'd like to vent my frustrations. Then, I'll try to lighten the mood a little with some things that have happened that have made my frustration either go away, or at least make me forget that I am frustrated.

Probably the thing that has made me the MOST frustrated is, indeed, the heat. I don't have a problem with cold weather, because heat is easier to come by than cold. Let me explain what I mean. Houses and cars that either don't have air conditioning or have inefficient air conditioning will most of the time have functioning heat. Since all machines (including our human bodies) produce heat, staying warm indoors is easier than staying cool indoors. Also, in the summer, one can only remove so much clothing to remain decent in society. In the winter, one can add extra layers both under and over our clothes to stay warmer. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but in our temperate climate in the Southeast, that will suffice.

The main reason I am frustrated by the heat is because I don't have air conditioning in my car. My car is older (1997) and has a fair few problems, but for the most part I can overlook those and get everywhere I want to go. When the temperature outside is above 90 degrees, however, not having A/C is almost unbearable. To remedy this, I have had my car fixed two summers in a row several years ago to recharge with freon. This was not a permanent fix, however, because I obviously had a leak, since the next summer the A/C would not work. I took my car in yesterday to see if I could have the same relatively inexpensive fix, only to find out that I would need to replace my compressor, a fix that would cost around $1100. I don't exactly have $1100 that I can throw around, so I guess I will go without A/C for another summer. Isn't that frustrating?

Another thing that has been frustrating to me lately is something I'm sure my avid readers will have noticed. Normally I would be so delighted to receive comments on my blog, the more the better! In recent posts, I have gotten many comments from people I don't know that are obviously written in some Asian language. This is frustrating because I don't know what these comments are saying, and they are clogging up my comments with odd characters. Luckily, this is easy enough to fix. I am now moderating my comments, meaning that I must approve all comments before they are published to my blog. If any spam-related comments or comments in a foreign language come in, I will have the option to keep them from posting. So, to my devoted followers, don't become frustrated if your comments do not show up right away; as long as they are in English and not spam, they will be posted ASAP.

Ok, that's enough venting for today. In happy news, work has been going well, and I am looking forward to the day when our store renovations are finished so that I can be full-time. It hasn't been especially eventful, but then that's not a bad thing. I have learned so much since I started this job, and for that I am grateful. It has been frustrating to just float along day-to-day, wondering when I would get the benefit of being a full-time employee, wondering if this job was worth the frustration that sometimes I deal with. But then I have days where I thoroughly enjoy even the most mundane things that happen, and spending time with some really awesome pharmacists! Now that's a good day.

Another thing I have been looking forward to is our visit to Atlanta starting this Saturday. Family is extremely important to me, and I always enjoy our visits. Not only are these visits a break from work and the ordinary routine, but they allow me to return home relaxed and refreshed. Food, games, and interesting conversation: what else could you want?! So, if you will be there next week, I look forward to seeing you and enjoying my time there. For all my other readers, I'll see you when I get back. I hope this blog doesn't frustrate you, and that you stay "upbeat and positive!"

6 comments:

EZ Travel said...

Oh, the frustration of a non-air conditioned car, I remember it well. We had a 1986 Toyota Tercel. Bare bones, no air, barely a radio. The worst days were when it was raining. I would have to drive to school with the windows rolled up. I would arrive at class soaked with both rain and sweat. Good times.

Hang in there. Have fun with your family and win some nickel dice. You have a big family, there ought to be enough nickels there to fix your air.

patb said...

Looking forward to seeing you, and hope the frustration ends.

Home-Probe said...

Wanna little cheese to go with that whine? hahahaha Just kidding! I remember having a car like that! See you this weekend!
Tracy

Marcel said...

Cars are not the only problem. See Kathy's blog: "Phoenix Is Hot", July 13, 2010

Thanks to our free enterprise system we have air conditioning whenever we want it, if we can afford it. Comfort has become a staple in our lives and is one of the reasons we work so hard to afford it.

What is so amazing is that there are environmentalists that say we are destroying the planet and we should turn off our air conditioning. Do you think environmentalists buy cars without air?

We have a great society and the vast majority in it are able to obtain air. If they cannot own it they are able to find stores, libraries and theaters that can relieve some discomfort.

Before the 1950's, when few had air, many people went to the beach or a park. Older folks were not always able to make the trip and many perished from the heat. They now survive and live longer. This is a great country.

cheryl said...

We even went to a school that had no air conditioning. Ask your Mother about that.

Try doing the slow goings of a car during testing with no air. Heat index of 110. And...and...with one window that does not go down.....(mine). Like sitting in a green house.

However....Sean you do have 2-40 air. Open two windows and go 40mph.
The breeze may be warm but it is a breeze.

patb said...

I love your new blog Sean, it sounds like it comes from the heart. You are getting a real eye opener with different kinds of people in your line of work. You are a soft and sensitive person, and you just have to keep being your wonderfull self, and grit your teeth when someone hurts your feelings. We sometimes even have these kinds of people in our families. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that may not coinside with ours, but they are still blood relatives, and all our Lord said was to forgive, do you remember how many times? Just keep remembering they will walk away and you've done your job to the best of your ability. Walk tall.

Love,
Grandma