Sunday, June 24, 2007

Airports

Last week I had the privilege of driving my friend and his mother to the airport. They were vacationing to see their family in California, but their flight was to Las Vegas, and they were going to drive from there. Their flight was at around 7 in the morning, which meant they had to get there very early (around 5:30). Speaking as someone who hasn't been inside an airport in more than 10 years, I consider myself disappointed.

The last time I was in an airport was when my grandparents flew in to spend some time up here. I can't remember which occasion it was or where they were flying in from, but I do remember meeting them at the airport. (Now that I think about it, it may have been Christmas.) Anyways, all of my airport encounters had been very interesting and worthwhile up to this point. Back then, we were able to go up to the gate and see our friends and family get on or off the plane and watch them walk into the terminal. No more. There are now roped off areas where non-ticketed people cannot go. Back then, we were able to go through the metal detectors and see the rest of the airport. No more. Now there are signs and checkpoints where non-ticketed people must stay behind and watch.

So, the only parts of the airport I got to see were the ticket counter, the parking lot, and the non-ticketed person's waiting area. What a joy... But I guess that's what happens when crazy people put bombs in their shoes and their carry-ons. I suppose if I really want to see the rest of the airport, I'll have to fly somewhere myself. Only problem is, where will I go?

4 comments:

John Beauregard said...

Welcome to the post 9/11 world.

Anonymous said...

If you want to see other parts of the airport the word bomb, said so others can hear, will get plenty of attention and you will see parts of the airport that others do not see.

Adrienne said...

In the last 3 weeks I have been in 3 different airports in two different countries with more to come in a couple of days. Trust me you aren't missing much.

cheryl said...

After 9/11 for awhile you couldn't even kiss your loved one goodbye. We went to drop Amanda and Matthew off at the airport in November of that year. They wouldn't let us stop long enough to give hugs and kisses, just drop your bags and people and get out.