Monday, February 12, 2007

Another Snow Update and Other Stuff

Many of you (except for maybe my grandfather) may be disappointed to hear that I did not get a day off from the recent snow storm. As I think I already mentioned, they cancelled classes for that night, but that was it for cancellations. Wednesday was a regular day for everyone (unless you were a non-college student, in which case all the other schools in the area were closed), and I could see some very disappointed faces Wednesday morning. However, all is not lost!

I have been following the weather forecasts (usually on the nightly news) and they are again predicting a significant storm moving in late tonight into tomorrow. They are calling for approximately 3-6 inches here in the Cincinnati metro area, with 6-10 inches just north of here. This storm will apparently start out as rain, sleet, and freezing rain (temperatures will be above 32 degrees Fahrenheit) and finish off with snow all night and all day tomorrow. I am planning on going to class tomorrow and Wednesday, so I choose not to be disappointed this time around. However, there will always be that hope in the back of my mind...

In other news, the testing season is now underway in many of my classes, and today I got back a Statistics test that I took on Friday. I earned a 53/60 (88%), which I believe translates into a B+. I missed a couple of points on a few questions, but other than that did very well. One question that I was kicking myself over was one about finding a standard deviation by hand. She wanted us to show the process (formula, etc.) without using the calculator, and I had vaguely remembered the formula. The formula is:

standard deviation = sum(value - mean)^2 divided by # values - 1

However, when I was in the middle of the test, I was running out of time and forgot what to divide by, so I divided by the mean instead. So, I lost a point or two for that question, but all in all, I did well. Since I got at least partial credit on every question (only losing a point on a couple questions) this means that I have grasped most of the concepts well, and just need to review minor details.

Well, I think it's time for a short nap. I shall once again update everyone on the impending snow and the events that follow. Have a great week!

No comments: