Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We Rise Again from Ashes

Ash Wednesday is the official beginning of the season of Lent in the Church. For the next forty days, people will be "giving up" things as a form of sacrifice and holiness to prepare for Easter. More importantly, this is also a season of prayer and penitence; while giving up things is a good way to get there, prayer, fasting, and alms giving are important too.

While it is not important that you know what all of my Lenten sacrifices will be, since each person's plans are personal, suffice it to say I will not be satisfied by simply giving things up. Below you will find YouTube videos of a prayer I have elected to say every day whenever I have the free time. This set of three videos shows the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, which is just an overall great prayer. If you want more information about it, go here. It is simply a beautiful prayer, and praying for mercy and peace for myself and the whole world is a great way to prepare for the season of Easter. (Not to mention that the prayer was first revealed to the recently canonized St. Mary Faustina Kowalska, of Poland. A shout out to all my Polish family!)

Happy Ash Wednesday to all; I for one will be getting my ashes tonight.





No comments: