Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Raclette

Except for perhaps a bowl of chili or some chicken soup, I can't think of a better dinner on an incredibly rainy day than raclette.

In case you have no idea what raclette is, I shall enlighten you. Apparently it is a Swiss dish (as explained to me by my all-knowledgeable mother) that is made on a special raclette grill. My parents received a raclette grill for a wedding present from Aunt Lori, and boy have we gotten some good use out of it! Anyway, raclette is a dish that contains potatoes, bacon (or I would imagine some other fancy Swiss pork meat), and an easy-melting cheese (Gruyere is apparently very popular, but very expensive). We use monterrey jack cheese due to the tastiness and ease of melting.

May I just say, mmm mmm mmm. It does take some time to cook as you wait for the bacon to cook before adding the cheese to melt. But the finished product...oh my... Just pour over the potato and enjoy! Of course, you should also have a side dish or a salad while you are waiting. Plus, since I'm sure the meal itself is not particularly healthy, you should probably have some leafy greens to counteract the fat that you are consuming. At least then you don't feel so guilty for indulging...

I have not really researched how easy it is to obtain a raclette grill, but from what I can hear, it is not easy. Apparently the one my parents received was bought by Aunt Lori on a trip to Switzerland, and I would imagine they are sold almost exclusively there. But still, if you can make it for yourself, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Just be sure to have a nice workout the next day...

8 comments:

Boucan said...

om nom nom nom nom nom =F

LETS MAKE SOME AND SELL THEM'

Home-Probe said...

You can get one at Target. They're some where around the $80 mark or so.

Marcel said...

Never heard about this before. I am not going out to buy one, I am not devoid of choices for things to eat. However, I would try it if the opportunity comes up. Then again, if I saw it on a menu I would not order it, there are other things that I like to order.

Tim B. said...

Sounds.......







Excrement!!!!

Tim B. said...

Oh yes...almost forgot.
x________________

patb said...

Sean, it is very good, I agree with you. I enjoyed it with your Mom, before you were born, or maybe it was when you were too ittle to enjoy that kind of food.

Gradma

patb said...

Gosh, I made some typos, guess I'm having a problem with my new fingers.

Shawnee said...

The best cheese to use is Raclette cheese -- also VERY expensive and harder to find in the US but you won't regret it!!

I found Raclette grills on ebay, too.