Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Round Two: It's for the Birds

The second round of our major snow storm came last night and early this morning first in the form of ice, and later turned into snow. I would say we have about a 1/2'' of ice covering the streets, grass, and trees, and we got an additional three inches or so of snow on top of that. That means we had total accumulations of about eight inches!

I did some more walking around today as I went to the cafeteria for some lunch, only to find the beauty that is ice-covered plants. I snapped a few pictures on my way, but when I came back, I came across such a surprise. A few of the fattest, happiest birds I have ever seen were playing in the iced-over trees! All of the trees they were "playing" in had bright red ripe berries for the picking, so of course they were looking to score some delicious food. I can only imagine their dismay to find out that the berries were all frozen, but I got a great picture of them! I'm sure they'll have a nice little meal anyway, as soon as the ice goes away...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the second picture my desktop.

Marcel said...

Great pictures, checked them all out. The birds are robins and in Detroit they eat only worms. I have not seen them eat anything else.

In Detroit, with ice on all the branches, we called this an ice storm. When ice forms on certain trees the twigs and branches break off. It is truly an enchanted time to see the after effects on an ice storm.