Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Back to School Once Again

Here I am, once again! Before I start into anything else, I hope everyone had a great Christmas and that 2007 will be a great year for all.

I arrived back here at school late last night after three and a half weeks at home. Classes started for me at 9:00 this morning, with Cell Biology. Then after an hour or so break, I walked the long trek to Psychology in the cold and snow. (Let it also be known that I got sick right before I left home.) So, I have been trying to battle this cold as much as I can, drinking lots of water, taking naps, and, of course, the necessary medicines.

My Christmas Break was most excellent, and since there was so much going on, I will just summarize a few key events. Most of my time off was spent with family, in one form or another. I was home for most of this vacation, so I spent a lot of time with my immediate family, and this included baking cookies, decorating the Christmas tree, and just spending time around the house. We attended midnight Mass as we have a couple times in the past, and spent Christmas Day together as a family, which was very nice.

A few days after Christmas, we drove four hours south to see more family in Atlanta. We stayed at my grandparents' house and had lots of opportunities to visit with the extended family (you may recall that Aunt Cheryl and family, and Uncle Duane and family live in Atlanta). We had several meals together, as families do, and one of those meals was made with the assistance of yours truly! Uncle Duane, Aunt Debbie, and I prepared a vegetarian spaghetti dinner that was most excellent (and fun too!). Besides having meals together, we also played lots of games, with Catch Phrase being the favorite. We also played this new game my immediate family got for Christmas called Scene It, which involves movie trivia. We found out that most of us are not avid enough movie buffs for that game, but it was fun regardless. My brother, my cousin Danny, and I did go to see the movie "We Are Marshall" at one point, and it was excellent, but unfortunately not old enough to be in the game. The last day or two was spent talking and visiting (along with a couple of visits to Krystals), and ended with a little football watching, snacking type get-together. We left on New Year's Eve, and got home in enough time to make some snacks and ring in the New Year. All in all, it was an excellent trip, and I really enjoyed all the family events.

Besides spending time at home, I also went back to work a few days a week at Ingles. Since I wrote the book on bookkeeping at Ingles (literally; I wrote a complete guide/checklist for all the procedures we are to follow), the manager had me train a new bookkeeper for a couple days. Training is always a time-consuming chore, but he picked up on things fairly quickly (I give credit to my co-worker who trained him on the first day). I did have to stay a little later than usual on those days, but that's what you have to do to make sure the trainee gets it down flat. In the end I think he should do well, but only time will tell. It took me awhile to get everything down, but "repetition is the mother of learning" or whatever it is they say (my Calculus teacher said it in Latin, but I can't exactly remember: Repetitio Mater...something).

I guess that's a good summary of my Christmas Break, although not an exhaustive summary. If I have time later this week, I will fill in some blanks. But for now, I'll have to leave it at that. I'm back at school now (though I may not be fully ready mentally, it is time) and I guess it's time to get back to the studying thing. I shall talk to y'all later, and have a great week!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I love the Scene It games! We have a bunch, TV (which I dominate, since it is a lot of shows from my era, sports and Harry Potter editions.

Welcome back to the bloggin world, we missed you.