Thursday, April 26, 2007

Pizza in the Chem Lab

Ask any Chemistry teacher the top rules while in the lab. Seriously, ask them. Every single one of them will tell you to never bring food into the lab. Well, we violated this rule today in my Organic lab, and it was the professor that suggested it!

Today was our final experiment of Organic Chemistry II Lab, and as a sort of treat, the professor suggested that we have a little pizza party afterwards. The experiment we were doing was quite short, so there would be a lot of time to eat and socialize. So, one of the students from my class organized everything and called in the order, while another brought in drinks. Plates, cups, and napkins were also provided, and all we had to do was chip in $2 each. A pretty inexpensive lunch!

I guess we could rationalize that we weren't actively performing an experiment while we were eating, so the pizza in the lab was okay. All the chemicals are placed in a vented hood, and we stayed towards the front of the room where the desk and chalkboard are. I surprised myself by trying a piece of pizza with green peppers only (the professor's choice of topping). I found that it actually tasted good, and if there had been more than one piece left, I would have had another. But alas, I had to stop myself, or else I would have been outed as a pig in front of my classmates. The rest of the time was spent just socializing and relaxing a little, without having to worry about another experiment to do. I actually got to witness my professor in a different light: relaxed, care-free, and laughing; boy was that a sight to behold!

I realize now that after reading this, Uncle Tim will call me Mr. Food again, but frankly, I don't give a. . .well, you know the rest. Can't a man just enjoy his pizza in the Chemistry Lab??? That's all I ask...until next time.

7 comments:

Tim B. said...

Dang, Mr. Food...you're getting quite CLEVER. Glad you enjoyed your pishta, with green peppers no less.

For those not in the know, Mr. Food and I recently conversed about "Gone With The Wind."

Anonymous said...

Green peppers? Can anchovies be far away?

Adrienne said...

The farther away the better!

Marcel said...

Adrienne, I believe that you would not even pick off the anchovies but would just throw the pizza away. However, I would do the same with raw oysters.

Sean M. said...

I have never tried anchovies, so I can't say whether or not I like them. I suppose at some time I should try them, but fish on pizza doesn't exactly sound appealing at this juncture...

Tim B. said...

If you've ever had Worcestershire sauce then you have had anchovies. They are AN ingredient.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that Paulette and all her children have never had Worchestershire sauce.