Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Heat Is On

I am not a fan of the heat. I only like the hot months because it means I can go swimming and get some sun to this pale skin. Also, it's nice to step outside and see plants in full bloom and animals frolicking everywhere. But I do NOT do well in the heat.

As if anyone needed reminding, many areas in the country are seeing record high temperatures. As a result, this is putting a strain on the aging power grids, especially on the east coast. According to the news tonight, many cities are seeing record energy usage, most of which I can imagine is being used to keep everyone cool during those 100-degree days. Here in Tennessee, we haven't seen any 100-degree days yet, but with today's high being 98, I'll bet those days are coming soon.

In our house, we set the thermostat to 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter (at least that's what I set it as; sometimes I find it changed to accommodate someone else's "need" for a little extra air or heat). Since we got a digital thermostat, we have been able to control our energy usage a little better. As compared to years past, we are saving about 10-15% on our energy bills every month, which really does add up over the course of a year. I (almost) always turn off lights if no one is in a room, and don't leave electronics turned on if I'm not using them. While we don't have compact fluorescent bulbs in all our lights, I have two lamps in my room that use them, and when our current ones run out, I intend to get the energy-efficient ones. Yes, they do cost more initially, but they last so much longer than the traditional incandescent bulbs, and therefore save money in the long run.

So what was the point of this post? I'm sure I won't be influencing anyone to do anything different or to enlighten anyone with novel ideas. My point, and I do have one, is to share what I do to conserve energy. I truly believe that if every household were to follow similar principles, there would be so many fewer problems with energy, not to mention saving everyone a little bit of money. Personally, I have never witnessed a blackout (knock on wood), and I intend to never experience one, but I think we can all agree that preventing those would be a plus. Even small steps can make a huge difference, so I guess I'm challenging everyone to do what they can in their own lives to make a difference nationwide. What do you think?

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I love how it is scathingly hot everywhere but Califronia. It has been a beautiful 75 ish everyday for the past 6 weeks.

But climate change is a myth. LOL

Good on ya for your conservation, hopefully others will follow suit.

John Beauregard said...

We are active conservationists and can hardly wait for the new fuel cell technology that generates all the power needed in the average home in a unit about the size of a bread box (per a 60 Minute report).

Marcel said...

Even President Johnson went around the White House turning off lights. As I sit here now at this computer at 10:00 PM there is not a single light on in the house.

However, as a nation we are only fooling ourselves that we do not need more coal plants, oil plants, and even nuclear plants.

patb said...

English in the USA, please.

Pat

patb said...

This is not Rome.