Thursday, February 23, 2006

Newport Aquarium

Hello all, once again. I don't really have anything new to report today, but I did want to fill everyone in briefly about my trip to the Newport Aquarium. Monday afternoon we headed over there with my Biology Lab group, since we have been studying a lot of the organisms they have there. I took a few pictures while I was there, so I thought instead of writing about everything I saw, I could just post those pictures and talk about the experience in another post. So for now, enjoy!


:One of the first things we saw as we went into the aquarium - a giant skeleton of a sea turtle. Very impressive!


:Some very colorful fish that I just had to photograph. Not exactly sure what they are, but hey, they look nice.

:One of the giant turtles/tortoises that was in it's little habitat. It was interesting that he's standing up like this, since before he hadn't been moving at all.


:Some miniature turtles swimming around in their habitat.


:Now here's a turtle (or was it a tortoise???) crawling on land.

:Now here's some miniature alligators all poking their heads up! It must be feeding time or something...


:Another land-dwelling creature - a large python of some sort.

:One of the most interesting sea creatures we encountered in my opinion - the puffer fish.



:In my opinion, one of the best photos of the entire trip. Here is the underside of a shark (with the very large teeth!) as he swam over us in the glass tunnel.


:Here's another shark as he swam towards the glass. Boy does he look happy!


:And now to my favorite animals of all time - the penguins! We had waited for them to jump in the water to swim, but alas they decided not to.


:Another shot of the wonderful penguins. This particular species is the Emperor Penguin.

Well, that's all for now! I'll make sure to post sometime after I get home and get settled this weekend. So, until then, the week's half-way over...REJOICE!!!

2 comments:

paulette said...

I think I will use one of your pictures as my wallpaper. Let's see, either the pretty fish or the snake; hmmm.

Adrienne said...

Puffer fish - That's what they keep catching on Survivor and can't eat cuz they are poisonous.

Cool Pictures, great shot of the underbelly of the shark.