Friday, April 17, 2009

I Dreamed a Dream

This story has been all over TV and the Internet lately, but today was the first time I actually got to see it. In case you were in the minority like I was, there was a performance on the reality show "Britain's Got Talent" recently that has left everyone stunned. This woman named Susan Boyle got up to sing for the show, as was her dream, and she astounded everyone. She sang the song "I Dreamed a Dream" from the musical Les Miserables, and WOW...

YouTube won't let me embed this video in my blog, but I strongly recommend that you visit it here.

Frankly, if you don't cry when you watch this, you have no soul. I've watched it twice now, and I couldn't stop the tears from welling up. Yes, her voice is so beautiful, but I was also touched by how much the judges and the audience shunned her at first. That whole "don't judge the book by the cover" thing has become so cliche that it has no meaning nowadays, but I think it truly applies here. Why do people feel like they have to be so cruel and unkind?

I saw one girl in the audience that laughed hysterically when Susan was on-stage and rolled her eyes at the idea that she wanted to be a famous singer. These people didn't even give her a chance! I can honestly say that this was a wake-up call for me; I may not always give people the chance they deserve, but I can assure you that I will be much more aware of what I do, what I say, and what I think about people from now on. But, the biggest thing I have learned from this video:

NEVER LAUGH AT SOME ONE'S DREAM...

3 comments:

Tim B. said...

Hey there,

Just a couple of notes:

1. I'm not sure that people feel they have to be cruel and unkind. I think it is learned behavior that is repeated to the point where no thought is given to any of it.

2. Those shows are taped and edited before being aired. The girl rolling her eyes and laughing hysterically may indeed have been belittling Susan Boyle, however, it is just as likely that the editors of that show put the footage together in a way as to set a tone for the viewers. I wouldn't put it past them.

I haven't seen the video and only hear the woman sing just a little bit on the Today Show the other day. Jay Leno did a little sketch thing about the woman looking like him (it was him in drag), but that's all in fun.

Anyway, talent does not require beauty. But television does. I have heard the comment twice recently "[so and so] has a great face for radio." Funny, but true.

Sean M. said...

Oh yes! I saw that skit on Leno and found it hilarious!

Regarding note 1, I think that you may be right about it being a learned behavior, but there's no better time to un-learn what we have learned (wow, I sounded like Yoda there...)

Regarding note 2, you are probably right about the editing. But who could have predicted that millions of people around the world would be watching this now? That show doesn't air in the US (as far as I know), so it was merely spread by word of mouth, etc. But yes, I think that the producers and editors play with the footage to get the reaction they want sometimes.

Susan may not be best suited for television, but what a voice! I'd buy her album if she came out with one...

Marcel said...

In the forty's and fifty's it was Kate Smith that surprised folks with her poor looks. Her voice was superb and she knocked out some patriotic songs that brought tears to the eyes. Her venue was radio but we were able to see her on "Movie Tone News" when it was played at the movies.