Monday, June 06, 2011

Hummingbirds...Or Lack Thereof



That is a picture of our completely full hummingbird feeder that I took yesterday. We've kept it out for at least a month now, and have yet to see the fluid level drop significantly. Hummingbirds, where are you???

Yet another of the perks of summertime is the opportunity to watch the hummingbirds feed outside our window. They have to be the most interesting birds in creation, at least in my opinion. They are so tiny and cute, you just can't help but watch. The fluttering of the wings always amazes me; I don't have a factoid about how fast the wings beat, but you can always Google that. I like watching them take a drink at the feeder; sometimes they land with their tiny feet on the perches, and sometimes they just hover and feed at the same time. There have even been times I've been outside when one or more of the birds have been hovering, looking to get a drink. The noises that those tiny wings make sound like an approaching car up close!

Needless to say, it's been disappointing that the hummingbirds haven't made a habit of visiting our feeder yet. As of today, I have seen a total of ONE hummingbird, and he didn't stick around for very long. However, he did happen to be the most vividly colored hummingbird I have ever seen! (I know he was a male because the males are more brightly colored.) He had a dark green body with a white underside, and a bright red belly that matched the color of the feeder. Beautiful! Hopefully he will make a return visit, and tell his friends too.

Am I the only one missing out on the hummingbirds this year, or has anyone else noticed their absence? I know several of my family members have feeders in their yards or on their porches, so let me know what the hummingbird activity has been like lately. I'm hoping that it's just been a little too early to see them in full form, and that the best of this summer is yet to come.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I may the only person that can't stand hummingbirds. The buzz so close and fast and they sound like bees. My dad has several feeders and gets quite the crowd, but I think he spikes his "juice".

Tim B. said...

A few things:
1. It appears that the thing is pretty close to the ground. Maybe they want to be higher up?
2. Don't fill up the feeder. Put in about 1/3rd the amount until you see they are coming regularly, then increase. That way you won't lose much to spoilage.
3. Red colored hummingbird food is supposed to be a no-no. Something about the chemical weakinging their eggshells? Could be a myth. They will be attracted to the feeder color, so clear food is fine. I mix 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup of water, and they seem to like it.

Anyway, I have at least 2 families competing for the feeder. It's not like they are hovering there every few seconds, but it is enjoyable to sit in a chair and watch them come and go.

Yesterday I was in the kitchen washing dishes and looked out at the feeder. To my surprise, a huming bird descended from above the roof and hovered right outside the window, back to me, in the sunlight. It was the best sighting I have had. Wish I had the camera then. Anyway, I have taken some pictures and can post soon.

Sean M. said...

I had heard that red liquid was bad too. If we don't see an increase in activity soon, I might try the clear sugar/water mixture. Our feeder is about 3 feet off the ground, and in years past, we had huge hummingbird activity, so I'm not sure height is a big factor. I just hope those little birds show up soon!

Kathy from California said...

Does anyone know if the liquid in the hummingbird feeder goes bad? The insructions on my feeder said to change it twice a week, but I'm not sure if that is job security or if the sun "spoils" it.