Monday, June 20, 2011

Windows Down, Radio Up

I had mentioned a few weeks ago on Facebook that I had experienced one of my favorite "life moments." My mom and I were talking one evening and for some reason she started laughing. As she tried to explain why she was laughing, I started laughing too. When all was said and done, we were both laughing hysterically and couldn't breathe, and tears were streaming down our faces. I've never really figured out why we cry when we laugh really hard, but it was a great feeling anyway.

At any rate, I bring this up because another one of my favorite life moments has to do with music, which has been a topic for a couple of blog posts lately. That moment happens when I'm driving along and a really good song comes on the radio. However, it only works out if I'm driving along really fast and there's no traffic ahead! At that moment, the windows get rolled down and the volume gets turned up high. Sometimes people may look at me and think I'm crazy or annoying, but honestly, I don't care!

The choice of song usually doesn't matter; any really good song can do. The only necessities are that it has to be a good driving song and must sound great when turned up loud. A sad love song simply will not do. That being said, though, the song doesn't have to be happy. Basically it must be something you can sing along too, meaning you know all the words, and it makes you happy to sing it. Yes, it may be embarrassing to rock out to a certain kind of song, but if it makes you happy, you should do it anyway. Music is all about tastes and preferences, and just because someone else doesn't understand your choice in music, doesn't mean it isn't great to you.

Personally I like to blast music from the 70s, 80s, and 90s the most. Those were the decades of loud rock 'n' roll, power ballads, and epic guitar solos. Sure, there have been some before and since those decades, but in my opinion, they were the best. Many of the songs I enjoy with the windows down and the radio up have particular memories associated with them that I relive every time I hear them. Maybe I heard a particular song during a fun trip or a memorable summer with family. Or maybe friends and I heard a song while we were just hanging out, and had a particularly good laugh about it. All those memories come back to me, and it brings a smile to my face, which is what music is supposed to do, after all.

Are there certain songs you like to blast with the windows rolled down and singing at the top of your voice? Or are you a stick in the mud that doesn't like to have any fun??? And if you are the former, is it more fun to be driving along alone, or singing along with friends and family to back you up?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

annoying, but honestly, I don't care!
When you stop caring if you annoy people it's time for a little extra introspection.

za

KathrynVH said...

Ha, za, this from a man who played his music so loud in his little apartment that the neighbors were all humming his favorite songs--

Sean, play your music loud in the car--you are right, it is one of life's truly great moments. Of course, in my youth, I added driving along the pacific coast at night (when there was no traffic) to playing my favorite music loud in the car...

Anonymous said...

But that was The Who.


Za

Gretchen said...

One time, not so long ago, I was jamming away, radio loud, my singing louder when a car of young kids pulled up and started laughing. What was I singing? Pussycat Dolls - Doncha wish your girlfriend was hot loke me!

Some songs are just meant to be played loud.

Tim B. said...

I agree with you on some rock and roll, or pop songs...they care more enjoyable with windows down and volume up...and singing along!

Lately, because I am getting old, I do this more frequently with classical music and opera. Nothing like "di due figli" or "di quella pirra" (from Il Trovatore)blasting (and turning heads).