Wednesday, June 29, 2011

International Eating

The list of foods that I simply won't eat is probably pretty short. And most of those foods are over-processed "American" dishes that contain lots of salt, mayonnaise, or vinegar. I wanted to bring up some different types of food on my blog today, because my day was filled with two very different flavors from two very different cultures.

For lunch at work today, we had Mexican food from 3 Amigos here in Powell, which I would highly recommend for people in this area craving Mexican food. My favorite to get from there is the chicken chimichanga with rice and beans. Most of the time chimichangas are fried to a crisp and topped with various condiments like sour cream, pico de gallo, cheese (either solid or a cheese sauce), and guacamole. I prefer to get the chimichanga un-fried (or should that be fried-less), and the combo I get comes with just a simple cheese sauce. Mmmm. The restaurant also throws in a bag of chips, a cup of salsa, and a few pieces of sopapilla for dessert. It's great stuff!

For dinner tonight, my mom decided she wanted Chinese food, and we usually get ours from a local restaurant called China Jiang. I would also highly recommend this place to my local friends and family. My "usual" is to get sweet and sour chicken with an egg roll (mmmm), but today I decided to change it up a bit, since my lunch was so heavy and filling. This time I got chicken with mixed vegetables and an egg roll, and it was delicious! The portion size was so large that I'll be able to get at least two more meals out of it, which makes it economical too. More good stuff!

Of course my all-time favorite cuisine is Italian, and you can read about my most recent Italian experience on my Olive Garden post. I think I like Italian food so much because so many dishes are tomato-based, and I love tomatoes. Obviously there are Italian dishes that aren't tomato-based, but I like those too. Pizza is always a favorite for me, since you can change it up with whatever kinds of toppings you want. So, I could probably eat Italian food every day!

Obviously I didn't cover every single type of cuisine, so there are many more than I enjoy. What kinds of food do you enjoy the most? Are there any that I didn't mention that you find delicious? And are there any "weird" food likes that you have?

5 comments:

EZ Travel said...

Indian is probably my favorite, but Thai is a close second. The problem with Thai food is that they do not have the yummy breads that come with Indian cuisine. When Lyle makes my favorite basil chicken Thai dish at home (extra spicy) he will always make a batch of naan to go with it because I love it so much.

Of course, my all time favorite meal was in Paris but I am sure there were more than a few sticks of butter involved and it is unlikely a good French restaurant will ever open in South Bend, IN.

Tim B. said...

Japanese-cook-at-your-table-Hibachi. Absolutely delicious.

Korean bulgogi is tasty but I never know for sure what type of meat it is. If it is spicy, it could have been a chihuahua. If it is served quickly, it could have been a greyhound.

Don't forget Indian pishta.

and don't forget:
x_________________________

Marcel said...

How about Polish Kielbassa right after it has been cooked? Or, Patie Chinois made with left over beef roast, and, as a side, pickled beets. Or, smoked Kielbassa with saurkraut and sweet pickles. Or, fresh pork roast with mashed potatoes, gravy and sweet pickles.

Senorita Shell said...

Oh my! I don't even know where to begin!! Peruvian is one of my personal favs, since the spices and ingredients are so diverse. The weirdest thing I've tried is grilled cuy (guinea pig). It was quite yummy!! I adore Indian & Thai as well, but Persian and Ethiopian are also guilty pleasures. I'm super-spoiled to live in a diverse city, but I still have to hunt these places down!

Anonymous said...

Great Papa...you just made me hungry!
:)
Tracy