Saturday, June 18, 2011

Stevie Nicks

I'm sure I'll get a lot of clever comments from Uncle Tim about this post...

It's no secret that my favorite musical artist of all time is Stevie Nicks. There is just something about her voice that is totally unique, and it is pleasing to my ears. She is a very strong, independent woman, and pretty much every song she has written reflects that. Of course there are also songs where she shows her vulnerability and tenderness; some of those are the ones for which she is most famous.

I really "got into" Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks when I started college. Before that time, I had heard their songs on the radio, and enjoyed them. They also played on the store radio at work, though at the time I didn't know who sang those songs. Once I got to college, the songs piqued my interested even further, and I was able to access everything I wanted to read, see, or listen to regarding Stevie Nicks on the Internet. One of the first music videos was to a song called "Gypsy," which soon became my favorite Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac song. I will post the music video at the end of this post.

There is just something about Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks music that just makes me happy. Maybe it has to do with how mellow and laid-back the songs are, and how interesting the lyrics are. Or maybe it has to do with how artistic the music videos are for the songs. Or maybe it has to do with the on-stage personas of the artists themselves, especially Stevie Nicks' as a mythical witch figure. I think it's probably all of the above! Whenever I was having a particularly stressful day, I could turn on the Stevie Nicks music and it would calm me down and relax me. The "Gypsy" music video in particular cheered me up because of how artistic and happy it is. I hope you all will find it that way too.

Is there a Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac song that you enjoy?



3 comments:

Marcel said...

Interesting cinimatography, the begining from "The Great Gatsby" and the end a fantasy land. The music? OK.

Tim B. said...

I love LOVE when she was parodied on Saturday Night Live by Lucy Lawless. Something about Stevie Nicks Mexican Restaurant. They used a couple of her tunes and gave them mexican restaurant lyrics.

"Took your order...wrote it down!"
(from "Landslide")


Fleetwood Mac was enjoyable. Their "Rumors" album was such a huge hit. Lyndsey Buckingham was a wonderful guitar player and he and Stevie had magic and charisma. She had a distinctive sound that was as if her vibrator wsa stuck in the on position and she was singing through the cocaine induced quarter sized hole in her septum. (LOL...how's THAT?)

Tim B. said...

The sketch was called "Stevie Nicks' Fajita Round-Up" and can be found with difficulty SOMEWHERE on the web. I know I found it once, but there seems to be SNL copyright infringement issues.