Friday, June 03, 2011

Blackberry

My new favorite possession is the Blackberry I bought right before my birthday this year. I had been unhappy for some time with my then-current phone, so I decided it was time for a change. Sure, a Blackberry is pretty expensive, but I knew that many people had them and loved them. After looking at several different phones, I had pretty much made up my mind that the Blackberry was for me. I have Virgin Mobile phone service, and since they had a Blackberry for what I deemed an affordable price and an affordable plan, I got it.

The one issue for me with buying a phone plan is that I'm not particularly talkative when it comes to phones. I feel that texting can be much more efficient at times, since most things that I need to talk to people about only require a short answer. Plus, I can't always engage in a full-on conversation at work; that would be inappropriate. But for a question that doesn't require an immediate answer, and can be posted in a certain amount of characters, texting is perfect. So I was able to find a plan with unlimited texting and a fair amount of anytime minutes. I may not be talking for hours a day, but I at least need some to make all the calls I have to make in the course of the day.

The other major perk for me was the many applications that Blackberry offers to its users. Facebook and Twitter were a must for me, since I like to keep in touch with what's going on in social media. If someone posts to my Facebook profile, or else comments on the same feed I did, I can find out instantly on my phone. An icon appears on the desktop to let me know how many notifications I have, so I can check them at my convenience. And with a full keyboard, it's simple to post statuses and Tweets without having to sit down at a computer. (And since our Internet access at work is heavily blocked, if I want to post something online from work, I can easily do so from my Blackberry.)

One final perk that I have enjoyed so far is the camera feature. The camera on my old phone was good, but took small, fuzzy photos. This camera takes full-size photos with great resolution, and can store hundreds of them. Plus I now have a video feature that was not available on my old phone. These photos and videos are easily accessible, and easily shared via e-mail, text, or uploaded to Facebook/Twitter.

All in all, I'm glad I made that investment to get the Blackberry. There are still many, many things that I have yet to learn, but I try to figure these things out as I go along! The features I would like to better utilize would be the calendar (right now I only have people's birthdays and my mostly constant work schedule), Twitter (I post to and check Facebook almost exclusively right now; it's the one I'm more familiar with and used to), and the Internet browser. Until such time as I can completely master all the features, which I don't expect to be any time soon, I will just muddle through with what I know. For now, that's plenty, and I'm enjoying the new conveniences of having a "smart phone."

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

You would think with a camera on your phone we would see more pictures on Facebook. I know some people who use their phones as if it were a laptop, I'm lucky if I can make a phone call.

EZ Travel said...

After reading about the camera I would have expected a picture to accompany this post. Maybe next time.

I agree that Smart Phones are a wonderful invention. I love the freedom it gives me. I was answering emails from Jackson's Fun Fair yesterday while he played in a bounce house, then a minute later I was playing bean bags with him without missing a beat.

On my last flight I even did my boarding pass on the phone and it was great. No papers to keep track of!

cheryl said...

That is how Scott learned with his blackberry, one function at a time.

Sean M. said...

I know, I need to get better about using this new-fangled contraption! I spend so much time at work, and I really can't take pictures of things that happen at work (HIPAA, HIPAA, HIPAA!). But I'll try to do more.