Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ummm...Weiner

I don't profess to be a current events expert by any means. In fact, other than what I can find on our local news or what I hear from my peers at work or on social media, I don't pay much attention to it. I am so busy most of the time that I don't get around to checking the news. Obviously being ignorant is not an option, but I try to be as informed as I need to be without being overwhelmed but all the bad stuff out there.

That being said, I have been discussing "Weinergate" a lot lately, mostly at work. I can't open a webpage, or turn on the TV, or check Facebook without seeing a status, a story, or a video showing something about Anthony Weiner's weiner. It has been a topic of discussion at work lately with one of our pharmacists, especially since he was just in Washington, D.C., when the story broke. I have to plead ignorant to some of the details of the whole thing, but I know enough to form an opinion and to share it with you.

The man is obviously a slime ball, which is only part of why I have a problem with him. The fact that he was attempting to send that picture to one or more women to whom he is not married is pretty despicable. And how embarrassing to put his wife through such a mess! She obviously doesn't deserve that, and he should be ashamed. Sexting is just as bad as cheating; actually I would say sexting is cheating. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough whether that was all that was going on with said women, but for now that is despicable enough. Then to make matters worse, he mistakenly sent the picture to Twitter, where it was sent around the world instantly. And once you post something online, it never goes away! (I admit though, that's a pretty good thing for my blogs!)

What I really wish is that this would quit making the rounds on the news. Do I think he should resign? I honestly don't know the answer to that question. If he were my representative, I would probably say yes, but I think that's up to the people of New York. I have heard that the top Dems have said he should step down, so obviously he has become a laughing stock of the party. I wouldn't want such an embarrassing figure as one of my representatives to Congress.

But now, what's the deal with him checking into a rehab program??? Is that really going to make a big difference in the greater scheme of his career, or are people going to see right through that? I don't know the answers to those questions either. Does every person in the limelight go to rehab whenever there's a problem? That's something that has always puzzled me, because when normal people get into trouble, they face the consequences and admit they messed up. What are your opinions on the Weiner matter? And do you, like me, wish that Weiner would go away?

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

This guy is just a creep. I'm a big believer in your private life is your own business and unless you are having sex with me, who you are having sex with is none of my business. However, this dude is just stupid, not a trait I like in my representative.

Social media is changing the way information disseminates, and even social media is changing so quickly. Those that don't understand how to use social media are better off just staying away, or hiring someone to do it for them.

Gretchen said...

Oh and guys just a heads up, girls would rather see pictures of you from the waist up.

Adrienne said...

"Say it, forget it. Write it, Regret it"

That is the mantra of Social media.

I agree with G in that I could care less who he sends pics to or who he is sleeping with.

My problem is with the lying and deceit when approached about it. A simple "No comment" or even better a "Nunya Business" would have been much better.

Should he resign? If he were my rep I would say yes.

EZ Travel said...

The sexiest picture you could send would be of you vacuuming or doing the dishes; private parts just don't do it.

I not only don't think he should resign, I would re-elect him if he were my rep. He believes in what I believe in and he votes the way I would vote. What else could I possibly need to know. I don't care if he sends pictures of his wiener to the Queen of England or has a three way with Berlesconi and Putin, that is his private life and it should remain private.

I do agree with "get it off of the news." It is a complete non-story just like all of the other "scandals" that I could not care less about.