Monday, June 27, 2011

Missing Tennis

Wimbledon is going on this week, and I am missing it! Most of the matches are televised during the day, and of course I work during the day. Of course nowadays one can watch anything online, but I don't want to sit on my computer for hours watching tennis after work. I guess there are re-cap shows on at night, so I'll have to see if any of those come on tonight.

I've been so out of the tennis loop lately that I don't even know who the players are! Nadal and Federer are still at the top of the men's sport, of course, and the Williams sisters on the women's side (though I heard they are both out of the tournament now). There are a few others that I know, but all the up-and-coming players that are new within the last two years, I have no idea who they are. That's really unfortunate, because tennis is one of those sports that has a pretty frequent turnover of players usually. Some players stick around for decades, but that is rare. For our sake, however, I hope Nadal, Federer, and the Williams sisters stick around a good long while (among others).

Is anyone keeping up with Wimbledon? I know that Kathy is an avid tennis fan, but she has yet to post a Wimbledon blog! Who's looking good this year? And could someone please inform me about who are the top players now? I'm hoping to at least see the finals, since those are at least played on the weekend. But it would really be nice to know what is going on before the very end!

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I don't watch but I know K is watching, she has all of it on the DVR. I did hear SPOILER ALERT that the Williams sisters are both out of it as of today.

KathrynVH said...

I can't stay away from the computer as soon as anyone reminds me about tennis--three people told me Serena and Venus were out before I had a chance to watch the dvr.

So I listened to the radio on the computer for Nadal's match--it was so frustrating to listen to commentators talk about him calling the trainer without seeing him. Later I watched the match--oh my, I was still nervous he was going to lose and I'd already seen the final score.

Sean, look for Bartolli on the womens side--she's been around for years but when I saw her at the French this year, I was really impressed--that girl is seriously driven. And Maria Sharapova is still in it, but they meet before the semi's. Djockovic is having an awesome year--he won the Australian this year--he didn't lose a single match until the
semi final of the French. Tomic is a qualifier (not ranked--had to play extra matches to be invited.). He's very young and very tall. Solid skills. Then there is the last American--I think this is his best result in a major--Marty Fish. The guy went on a major diet, losing serious weight and his game and fitness have really improved. But he meets Nadal next. Unless Fed has an awful day when he meets Djok, I predict another Nadal/Federer final (except that Nadal has has some ankle problems, but if Del Potro can't take him injured, no one can.)

KathrynVH said...

Ok, Lisicki beat Li Na (the French winner) and Serena Williams and now Bartoli. Next she meets Sharapova. I'm calling it for Sharapova, because Bartoli fought off 4 match points in the Second set, so I don't think that Lisicki believes that she can win. I think that she is just as surprised as everyone else that she's made it this far. I also like Paszek, a terrific newcomer, but she meets Azarenka next--we shall see. Lots of new names on the Women's side.

Tim B. said...

I haven't missed a single match !!!

Marcel said...

Nor have you watched one.