Sunday, June 26, 2011

Weeding the Garden

I enjoy gardening. Maybe I should rephrase that though, because there are parts of gardening that I enjoy. I enjoy planting flowers, shrubs, trees, and other plants in a garden, or in the ground in general. I enjoy watering and fertilizing plants when needed. I don't mind getting my hands dirty in the process, and I don't mind the hard work involved in digging, tilling, or any other preparatory process. But there is one step of the gardening process that I hate, HATE: weeding.

This is very unfortunate because our garden is badly in need of weeding. I did do some weeding last week, but with all the rain we've had this past week, I'll need to keep on top of it. We put down some plastic to stop the weeds the year we bought mulch, but it can only do so much. It does prevent weeds from sprouting up through the ground. Unfortunately, grass clippings, seeds, and spores got into the mulch and sprouted in the mulch layer. Then it's only a simple step to grow a few inches into the actual ground, and have a strong root. AHHH you weeds!

I guess the reason I don't like weeding is because it's a never-ending process. Yes, watering and fertilizing are never-ending, but they can take of themselves at a certain point. A little bit of mulch can provide enough nutrients for a couple of years, and rains such that we've had lately provide more than enough water. Weeding is hard work, and sometimes the weeds grow in among the regular plants. It's frustrating to me that I might accidentally pull out part of the healthy, desired plant just to get rid of the weed! Plus, those weeds are so resilient that if you don't get the entire root out, it will grow right back! Argh!

We did have a tiny helper in the garden today, though. I was looking outside prior to writing this blog and saw a baby rabbit hopping and sniffing around. He was only about the size of my fist, and seemed to enjoy eating weeds! Now if we could only get a few more of those, the entire garden would be weed-free! I only wish that I could have gotten a picture before he hopped away. That little bugger was adorable!

What parts of gardening, if any, do you enjoy? Do you mind pulling weeds? If the answer to the second question was "no," when can you come to our house and pull our weeds?

5 comments:

Tim B. said...

I am shocked...SHOCKED I tell you! I thought you always had your crackberry on you, ready to take a picture at a moment's notice! :-D

I don't like weeding either. I don't really like gardening in general, but make a fair attempt at it avery other year or so.

Marcel said...

You have been fooled by the rabbit proliferation movement, a movement designed to increase the total amount of rabbits in the world. A bunny will eat weeds when a human is watching, but turn your back and they cease eating weeds and begin eating all the suculent green stuff that are supposed to mature into your edibles.

You have been warned.

KathrynVH said...

I am not and will never be confused with a gardener. It takes all my consentration to keep a plant alive in my office that has survived getting watered only about five times a year. (The secret is to soak the roots and get a succulent plant, but I digress).

However, I did learn one gardening trick from my Mom or Dad or one of my grandparents--I can't remember which (both of my grandfather's were avid gardeners, though Grandpa Beauregard had lots more vegi's and Grandpa Van Houten went more for unusual plants and flowers--there was one that only opened at sunset and we kids would make a big deal out of being there to watch the flowers open on summer evenings. But I digress).

The trick that you probably already know is deadheading the roses. So easy to do and the results are so gorgeous. When I actually remember and have time to do it (like this year) we have the most beautiful roses in my front yard that it almost makes my house look nice. (P.S. The gardner is responsible for everything else)

John Beauregard said...

If you want a truly satisfying experience in the garden try propagating a few of your favorite plants. Use the Internet to find the procedures. About 10% of our outdoor plants are self propagated.

cheryl said...

I don't like weeding either. I for one use the yellow box method. I sprinkle it on in the begining of the spring, pick what few weeds grow and keep adding the weed n feed. When you put down new mulch you need to put some weed killer right away. It comes with it's own weed seed. They don't list it in the ingredaints but they are there for sure. The bird dropings also add weed seed. So do your cute little bunny dropings.