Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rain, Rain, Here to Stay?

Would you be surprised if I told you I love rain storms? I think it's pretty obvious by now that I love snow, what with all the snow-related posts on my blog over the last several years. But perhaps my real love is for precipitation in general. I guess there's just something about the power of water that interests me.

I am one of the few people I know that enjoys it when it rains. This year we have seen many record storms with record rainfall in the course of a day. The amount of rain we have received has been so excessive that most people are sick of it. But not I! Obviously I want to have some sunny days too, but the rainy days can be just as enjoyable to me. This is especially true on days when I am working, because if I'm going to be stuck inside anyway, it might as well rain. Plus there are so many things that one can do stuck inside on a rainy day: play board games, watch movies, read good books, and the best thing to do during a storm is NAP! I always sleep better when it rains, and taking a nap while it's raining can be pretty refreshing.

Probably the top reason I enjoy rain is because it sustains life. Many people don't think about that when the constant precipitation "ruins" their well-laid plans. It's funny to me that the basis for all life causes so many people to cease living! I don't change my plans just because it's raining, unless of course the plans were to be outside the whole time. The way I see it, it rains somewhere every single day, so we might as well accept that today it's raining here. Not to mention that the beautiful flowers and plants that we love to see in spring and summer rely on that supply of rain to grow so beautifully.

Today has been one of those days when the rain has come down as a deluge. We've had two or three straight days of rain, and many thousands of people have lost power during the course of the latest storms. Luckily our power only flickered for a short time last night, and there has been no real damage to this property or the ones immediately surrounding it. All of the destruction, the lightning and the thunder, and the power of it all just amazes me. To witness something so much more powerful than myself, and something completely out of my control, is simply astounding. I encourage all of my readers to think this way regarding the rain, instead of a major inconvenience. The weather doesn't care about your plans, and it will do what it has to do! Just remember that we need the rain and that rain is a GOOD thing!

Do you all enjoy thunderstorms? Or are you one of those people that hides under the bed when storms come through? Can you see the beauty in the rain? Do you cancel your plans when it rains (including travel or indoor plans), or do you embrace the rain and enjoy yourselves anyway?

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thunderstorms are one of the things I miss the most from the MidWest (besides family of course).
We have had an inordinate amount of rain over the last year or so, but no really really good rip roaring thunder and lightening.

EZ Travel said...

This reminds me of an episode of Dora (OMG how sad is that). Every time the rain showed up they would sing "rain, rain go away, come again some other day" and the rain would go away. I kept waiting for them to teach the lesson that rain is important but they never did. Fine, make me to teach my child that rain is important. I have to do everything.

Anyway, I love a good thunderstorm. And, I rarely let rain ruin my plans. We have friends that will cancel a trip to the beach because it "might" rain. I always go because it might not.

Marcel said...

Your polyanna is showing through.

John Beauregard said...

If you are an avid golfer and biker like me, rain may slow you down but does not stop you from doing what you like. Lightning, on the other hand, is more problematic.

Anonymous said...

Re: your Pollyanna......liet it shine, let it shine

Za