Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Heat Is On...Again

Welcome to Day 1 of my June Blogging Challenge! I hope that I'll be able to stick to it and bring some interesting posts to all my readers this month!

Even though summer doesn't officially start for three more weeks, we've been having some majorly hot weather here in East Tennessee lately. Highs in the mid-90s make for some muggy, sweaty days! Anyone who knows me at all knows that I enjoy snowy weather most of all, but there are some perks to hot weather, too. Some of my favorites are lounging outside (and getting some sun), swimming, and playing tennis.

But one perk above all speaks to my status as Mr. Food, and that is grilling. Once it gets warm enough to start cooking outside, our family grills out at least once a week. More often that not, we end up doing so two or three times a week, since my dad loves grilling so much. As a matter of fact, we ate grilled chicken for dinner tonight! And Monday night, we grilled steaks to celebrate Memorial Day.

Pretty much anything tastes great on the grill. We do hamburgers, chicken, steaks, fish (usually salmon - our favorite), kabobs, etc. Yes, it does take a lot more work setting up the grill, getting the charcoal ready (which apparently tastes better than when using a gas grill), actually cooking the food, and cleaning up afterwards. The rewarding part, of course, is the great taste and the time spent around the family during the whole process. Time well spent, yes?

So despite the fact that I detest going from air conditioned house to dripping sweat by the time I get to the car, there are good qualities about summer that I will miss come winter time. Although, the whole car-without-air-conditioning thing is really a problem. But that's the topic for another blog post! Stay tuned for Day 2...

3 comments:

Tim B. said...

X_______________

Gretchen said...

Congratulations on day one. I prefer spring, 60-70 degree days. It seems like we get one or two a year and then we are thrust into Summer. Not that the climate is changing or anything. :)

I look forward to your posting everyday. Maybe you can inspire other slackers.

KathrynVH said...

Ok, grilling sounds cool. I do not miss that dripping sweat weather. You are jealous--in a few days I'm off to winter in Australia.

Keep on blogging