Sunday, June 05, 2011

Easter Lilies in Bloom

Lilies are my all-time favorite flowers. I don't really know why it is, they just are. They smell great, come in many vibrant colors, have a unique shape, and are just all-around beautiful. Easter lilies are the ones that I see the most, but of course they are only sold commercially around Easter. I have seen some bright red ones and some yellow ones in person, but I have seen pictures of many other colored lilies. Awesome to behold!

A year ago, I bought some Easter lilies from the store to bring home for Easter. Usually at the end of their blooming cycles, the leaves start to die and eventually the whole plant collapses into a pile of nothing...or at least that's what usually happens at our house. Last year, however, we decided to plant them before they died off completely. They lasted for a few extra weeks, but soon succumbed to the hot summer and lack of rain.

Fortunately though, lilies are bulb plants, and the bulbs survived the hot summer, the lack of water, and the cold, icy winter! What a surprise it was to see those unique leaves poking out of the ground this spring! We only planted two plants, but from those bulbs came four new plants this spring. And what was an even bigger surprise was that they bloomed! I had read that it might take several years to bloom again, but apparently ours are super lilies! Not only did they bloom after only one season in the ground, but each plant has 5 or 6 blooms!

I took some pictures today, since the flowers have started to open to full capacity over the last several days. They are attracting bees, butterflies, and other insects, so they must smell great! I haven't gotten close enough to smell them due to said bees, but they do look great! Hopefully these blooms can stick around for a while, since they really do add to our garden right now. Most of our other flowering plants have already bloomed once, and are now in the losing-their-color stage. It really can be rewarding to get your hands dirty in the garden every once in a while!



3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Those are beautiful.

Tim B. said...

Cool. Respect the bees, don't fear them. Move slowly and don't swat at any even if they land on you. You will be surprised. They do not WANT to sting you.

I once had a beehive that was being built in a soffit 6 feet off the ground. When I saw a beekeeper sticking his unprotected head all in that area I screwed up my own courage and did it, demonstrating to my son. He couldn't muster up the courage (maybe 11 years old?), but it's just mind control.

Go smell those flowers before it is to late!!

Sean M. said...

I went and smelled the flowers today, and they smelled great! We've still got about a week left of blooming, so I'll have to savor the time with those beautiful flowers.