Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Personal Responsibility

A recurring theme at work for as long as I have worked in the Pharmacy has been a lack of personal responsibility on the part of some of our patients. We had a patient today (and she is one of many) who will pretty much take whatever drugs her doctor prescribes without question, but who also has no earthly idea what it is she is taking. I guess it's nice that she trusts her health care providers (her doctor and her Pharmacy), but ignorance is not bliss when it comes to your health.

Personally, I always want to know what kind of chemicals I am putting into my body. If I am prescribed a drug (and I have thought this since before I started working in a Pharmacy), I want to know everything about it that I can. I want to know its name, its purpose, possible adverse effects/interactions, etc. But maybe I'm alone in wanting that...

It's understandable (to an extent) to be unable to spell or pronounce the names of your drugs. The names are difficult and sometimes convoluted, and they can be difficult even to those of us in health care. Also, for someone taking multiple medications for the same purpose (for example, sometimes people can take multiple blood pressure medications if just one does not do the job), it may be difficult to keep up with them. However, as I said before, it's important to know what is going into one's body.

A person's health care is ultimately his or her own responsibility, with the obvious exceptions of minor children and seniors who can't take care of themselves. It is frustrating to think that some people give so little thought to their own health care, and expect that someone else will figure out what is best. Yes, we in the health care professions are charged with doing what is best for our patients. Yes, we will do just about anything in our power to make sure our patients get what they need. But without that underlying understanding and sense of responsibility, our work is for nothing! We can't force you to take your medications, we can't control every aspect of your care, we can't help you if you can't at least try to help yourself.

One of the most common requests we get on a day-to-day basis is to contact a physician to authorize refills on medications. Most doctors' offices have a process for authorizing refills, and in general get back to us with an answer in 48-72 hours. Blood pressure, cholesterol, and other "maintenance meds" are usually approved without question. Others require that the doctor check blood work or obtain an office visit, which we in turn convey to the patient. Sometimes, however, the office takes longer to respond, which frustrates the patient. Several times, we have been scolded by our patients because we haven't gotten a response. First of all, the fact that we contact the doctor's office in the first place is a convenience that we offer our patients. We don't have to make that call, but we do to expedite the process and provide good customer service. Second, we can't control what the doctors do or don't do, and to suggest that we have any say in the matter is ridiculous. Third, and most importantly, the relationship in play here is not that of the pharmacy/doctor, but that of doctor/patient. If you aren't happy with how your doctor is responding, make the call yourself; most of the time, the offices want to hear from the patient anyway to see how they are doing and if they are being compliant. It all comes down to personal responsibility.

One last thing I should say is that by no means am I saying we won't provide excellent care and service to our patients. Obviously that is our job and we want our patients to be healthy and happy. That being said, take some responsibility for your health, and it will make everyone's jobs easier, and we'll be able to give more time and attention to you and your needs. We enjoy what we do, and it can be fulfilling work; we are in a caring profession and intend to stay that way. As they say (whoever they are), an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and this can be a vital part of taking responsibility for one's health care.

7 comments:

Gretchen said...

"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part." That's one of my favorite sayings. Doesn't mean I won't do everything I can to assist you, but don't expect me to put in more effort than you.

Great post!

EZ Travel said...

I have to admit, whenever I do get a prescription (which is rare at this point in my life) I only skim the information sheet that comes with it. I will try to do better next time. But the thought of making the pharmacy call and renew a script just seems bizarre to me. I am surprised that doctor's allow it at all.

I do strongly agree though with the whole personal responsibility theme. We just instituted an unfortunate policy of allowing (requiring?) faculty to withdraw students from classes if they never show up. Too many were enrolling, paying, and then getting Fs because they never showed up and they never bothered to withdraw. This way they do not get the F on their record. I just hope they don't get a refund.

Anonymous said...

Huh! I was just sort of developing a Personal Responsibility blog of my own today! Of course with completely different context. Weird that we're on the same brain wave but, I haven't done mine yet.

Tim B. said...

Bravissimo!

John Beauregard said...

I think it is very interesting and very telling that you call people your patients not your customers. To me this implies a sense of responsibility you feel for them. I wonder how common it is that pharmacists consider their customers as their patients.

I agree personal responsibility is too rare in our society and not only in health care. I wish more parents felt responsible for the education of their offspring as well as their health.

Our pharmacy does an excellent job providing detailed printed information about each of our medications (which we read thoroughly). They also volunteer private counseling if we want it and on at least one occasion called her doctor when Nancy's prescription ran out. We thought all this service was common practice. My only complaint is our pharmacists keep bankers hours.

I am having to restrain myself from making derogatory remarks here about Obamacare.

Sean M. said...

Gretchen, that is the exact same quote my pharmacy manager uses! I like it too; great minds thing alike!

Erika, most doctors are okay with refills as long as the patients have kept their appointments and don't need blood work. Also, Xavier had a similar procedure where the faculty could issue a "VF" grade when students didn't go to class ("Vanishing Failure"). I can't remember how else it worked, but they definitely didn't get a full refund; obviously I would have no idea how this policy worked!

Tracy, great minds think alike! Where is your blog again? I'd like to check it out.

Uncle Tim, Si!

Uncle John, good on you that you read your drug inserts! We do feel a certain responsibility for our patients; I hope that all pharmacists feel that way. Also, our hours are a lot more convenient that what it sounds like yours are. We are open 9-9 during the week, 9-6 on Saturday, and 12-6 on Sunday. But it sounds like you get great service anyway.

Anonymous said...

beaurt.wordpress.com