Thursday, June 09, 2011

Waiting

It's amazing how much time we spend waiting in the course of our lives. As I wrote this, I was waiting in the doctor's office to have my yearly physical. Personally, I don't like waiting very much; I can get impatient if I have to wait longer than, say, ten minutes for something. Obviously waiting in the doctor's office is a norm that everyone has to endure for the good of their health.

But there are some places that I absolutely hate HATE waiting! One of those is waiting at traffic lights, but really it only bothers me on my way to work. There are a total of five stop lights on my way to work, and if you hit them just right, I can get to work in less than ten minutes. However, if you hit it just wrong, each light can add 2-3 minutes to my drive time, and it's amazing how often that does happen!

Another place that requires waiting that drives me insane is any kind of fast food restaurant. I should be happy that I can get cooked food so quickly, right? Well for someone that only gets a 30 minute lunch, waiting in line can eat a great chunk of time. Obviously I should be glad to even get a lunch break (as was pointed out by Aunt Debbie, who spends her lunchtime playing referee in the grade school lunchroom), but it still makes me mad!

Our patients at work are always playing the wait game, and I hate that for them! Most of the time it takes us about 10 to 15 minutes to complete each prescription, if there are no problems. We give ourselves enough time to fill the prescription and also handle patients picking up at the counter or drive-thru, and also answer the phone. Sometimes the wait times can get long, if there are several patients waiting or picking up, especially on days when we do not have enough help. I hate telling people they will have to wait longer than a few minutes, since I hate doing it myself! So I try my best to work quickly, efficiently, and precisely to make sure our patients get the best care we can give as quickly as possible.

What are some pet peeves you have when it comes to waiting? And how do you deal with the time spent waiting?

7 comments:

EZ Travel said...

Speaking of waiting in lines, why is it that some people (usually men) leave a good ten feet (or more) between themselves and the person in line in front of them? It pushes everyone else back, sometimes through the door or around other obstacles. It drives me crazy.

Gretchen said...

I prefer the drop off and pick up method whenever possible. I also hate waiting. When I used to commute up north the traffic used to drive me crazy. I would often ditch the freeway and take the sideroads where at least I was moving even if it was at lower speed limits.

Adrienne said...

The only time I mind waiting, is if I see someone who I feel could be assisting me, standing around talking or doing nothing.

cheryl said...

Try waiting at the DMV.... when it is busy. LOL

Sean M. said...

Erika, I don't understand that, but I am probably guilty of it! I hate it when people queue right behind me; it makes me feel rushed, and uncomfortable that weird people are standing so closely.

Sean M. said...

Yuck, waiting at the DMV! I'll have to renew my tags this month, so I might have to experience that soon. Maybe I'll just mail it in this year. As much as the gas will cost to drive up there, I could pay the extra $2 to mail it, and come out ahead.

Anonymous said...

Not really an issue with waiting but, one pet peeve of mine is perfectly healthy, capable adults taking the elevator to the 2nd floor!