Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Harry Potter Time!

Well, not quite.

In case you have been living in a cave or under a rock, the last Harry Potter movie is coming out July 15th. I really don't think I can impress upon you how excited I am about this! And I don't think I can impress upon a non-Harry Potter fan the magnitude of this event coming in just over three weeks. But let me try. This franchise has completely changed my life; for one thing, it actually got me interested in reading. For another, it opened me up to a world of creativity that I have never seen before, and will probably never see again. I have such a great amount of respect for J.K. Rowling (the author), and I can't thank her enough for creating this amazing story for us.

I have written a blog post in the past explaining my relationship with the Harry Potter franchise, both the books and the movies. In case you didn't read that post back then, I came across the movies before the books. Yes, I had been introduced to the books first, but never really took an interest in them back then. It wasn't until the sixth movie came out that I really wanted to get into the books. I enjoyed that movie so much, and I wanted to know what happened next so badly, that I wanted to start reading right away. So I went to our local library and checked them out, one by one, until I finished them. I had set a goal for myself to finish the books before the second-to-last movie (representing roughly the first half of the seventh book) opened in November of last year, giving me more than a year to finish them. I figured with my busy schedule and my general dislike of reading at the time, I would have just enough time to finish. Little did I know that just three months later, I would have read all seven books, which for me was a real accomplishment!

At any rate, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see the last movie. Of course it comes out on midnight July 15th, and there's no way I can go to a midnight premier, sit through a two or three hour movie, and still get up for work in the morning. Yes, it's tempting, but it's just not feasible! But you better believe it that I will be seeing that movie that weekend! And although I'm thoroughly excited to see the end of the story portrayed on film, it's still going to be sad that the whole thing is over. The great thing is, though, that the books and the films will be around forever, much longer than I will be. I, for one, will continue to re-read the books and re-watch the movies until the pages fall out and the DVDs don't play any more!

Who else is excited for the newest Harry Potter movie? What kind of Harry Potter "collections" do you have? I have the box set of the books in hard cover, as well as all the movies on DVD, for example. Will you be seeing the midnight premier of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2?" And how will you feel once the last scene is played out and the movie-making is over?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word can not express my apathy.

Za

Tim B. said...

Read all the books twice. Seen every one of the movies at least once.

I can't remember when I lost the enthusiasm for it, though. The first of the Deathly Hallows movies spent entirely too long just showing the trio standing around in the scenery, when they were SUPPOSED to be hunting Horcruxes. When you READ that part, there is certainly a lot going on, but when you WATCH it, something is lost and it is just plain dull.

I'll see the new movie within a couple weeks of it coming out, but am not chomping at the bit.

Adrienne said...

LOL I will be attending the 4 night AMC theater screening of all 8 films that week, culminating with #8 AT MIDNIGHT.

I have loved the story from the beginning when the first book came out I was working in an elementary school.

My kids were kinda meh about it until we listened to the first book on tape on a drive from here to COlorado. Now they have both read all 7 books and share the same excitement for the films.

KathrynVH said...

7/15 I'll keep a look out. Some of the movies were better than others, but the last one was really good, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I concur with your gratitude to J.K. Rowling--very creative wonderful stories. Adam also hated to read as a kid. I tried to read Harry Potter to him, but he resisted. Then we saw the first movie and he was hooked. From then on the Harry Potter books were the only books that every person in the house couldn't wait to read. I can't wait until Marisa's kids are old enough and I will enjoy them all again.

EZ Travel said...

I hated the first movie when I saw it on a plane, so I haven't seen any more of them. Jackson is really enjoying the books, but I think we need to slow down. They are getting pretty violent and scary. Hopefully I can hold him off on the next book for a year or so.

Go ahead and do the midnight show. You are young and can sleep later.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I used to drag Robert to the opening night midnight showing for the first 3 or 4 movies. I'd wear my Harry Potter Tshirt and my Harry Potter scarf and he would still sit next to me. That's love my friend!
Tracy

Unknown said...

I can't remember the last time this happened! I agree with Za.