Sunday, June 19, 2011

Car Registration

I decided to take a break from the music posts because of something else that came up recently that I wanted to post.

I renew my car tags every year in June. The state usually sends a renewal letter the month before the registration expires as a convenience. Of course, not getting a letter does not exclude one from renewing one's registration, since it all comes down to personal responsibility (hey, remember that other blog I did??). I usually take advantage of the fact that the Knox County Clerk has several offices around the county, including one at a local mall. I pick a specific weekend or a day off during the week to drive down there and pay for my registration. And while I'm there, I can walk around the stores and maybe get some lunch.

This year is a little bit different. Since I don't get week days off anymore, and my weekends are becoming increasingly busier, I don't have as much time to get across town as I used to. The mall is about fifteen miles from home, so round-trip that's about thirty miles; with gas at $3.48 this week, I would end up burning just about that $3.48 in that one trip. In years past, it was always more cost-effective to drive to the County Clerk's office to register, but this year, that $2.00 fee for mailing it in was looking good to me. Our registration is $60.00 a year, so an extra $2.00 is not a huge deal.

But then I saw on the literature that I could register online! Hot dog! That would be simpler and quicker than mailing it in, and I figured they wouldn't charge me the $2.00. Well I was wrong. Not only do they still charge $2.00 to mail the new tag, but they also charge a "convenience fee" of $2.48! So on top of the $60.00 I was going to fork out, they add $4.48 just to do it online. Thanks, but no thanks! I opted to send in my check through the mail, pay the $2.00 extra, and wait for the tags by mail. Oh, I guess I forgot to factor in the cost of a stamp, but then again, I can't remember how much I paid for the book of stamps I purchased several months ago. At any rate, I figure I saved about $1.00 registering by mail versus driving to the mall (or another equivalent County Clerk satellite office), and saved $2.00 versus registering online. I guess I can still call that "coming out ahead," right?

What are car registration costs where you live? Do you have emissions testing where you live (because we do not)? Do you have convenient ways to register your cars, or do they charge you extra like they do here?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

California....on line, charge card, about a week (or less) tags in the Mail. No extra charge, same price if you mail it in, go to the DMV or AAA.
Za
.

John Beauregard said...

Living in California I always renew our registrations on line using a credit card. We pay a car tax when we renew. Our newer car was $450 last year and our 11 year old car was $111.

I would never consider renewing in person at a DMV office. When Nancy was having balance problems her doctor provided a form for a handicap temporary parking permit from the DMV. We had to stand in a line of about 100+ people that ran way outside the building just to get a number to wait to get called. The whole process took almost 2 hours. Thank goodness I am retired. I feel sorry for the poor working stiffs who took time off work to get their tags.

Marcel said...

Perhaps this will be the low: the last I remember paying was $32.00 and the distance to the County Administration Bldg. is about a mile. When I walk in there are no more than three people ahead of me. They take a credit card.

Gretchen said...

Mine was $60, but that included an optional $10 recreation pass that gives me entry to any state park. I can renew on line or by mail, but I always forget. We have 24 hour kiosks inside most DMV offices that you can scan your renewal, pop in a credit card, and get your tags right there.

Tim B. said...

There is a DMV office less than 2 miles from home, so I just go there. Some times the wait is 1 or 2 people and some times there can be up to 10. But it is usually pretty efficient.

Taxes are paid by mail. Registration fees (for the sticker on the license plate) I do in person. The only other thing is the driver license renewal, which is at a completely different place and takes much more patience. But that is only every 5 years or so.